Submissions now being accepted for Water Street Studios' annual fundraiser: on-som'bel to be held on September 27, 2014.
Avenue + Passage
Event: We are looking for cutting edge artists in the categories of clothing, jewelry and fine art (3-D, 2-D and low relief media considered) for an alternative runway show and fine art exhibition. Think innovations in style, material or functionality. All artists will be chosen for their interpretation of the theme, TRANSITION: Avenues + passages. The exhibition will be on view from September 27 through October 25, 2014.
- Fashion, fine art and jewelry will take their inspiration from the title, TRANSITION: avenues + passages
- Clothing designers will supply their own models; hair and make-up for the show will be supplied by Water Street Studios.
- Fine art can be in the form of two or three-dimensional work. Our gallery is large and we encourage the submission of large art work.
- All fine art, and jewelry must be on site by September 6, 2014.
- Selected artists are required to attend one planning session prior to the event on September 27th. An Incubator Dinner and dress rehearsal to be held on Saturday, September 6, 2014. During this session, artists and designers will meet the other creatives, the production team, and will familiarize themselves with the runway. This is the opportunity to discuss hair and make-up, as well as display of the work both on the runway and in the gallery. A second dress rehearsal will take place on the day of the event, September 27, 2014.
- All work must be for sale at 50% commission to WSS.
- A green room will be provided for the models and artists throughout the event.
- Each artist will receive a $100 stipend towards materials and travel and free admission to the event.
- The event will include cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, desserts, runway show, raffle, and awards ceremony.
- A total of $1,250 in cash awards will be given to: Best of Show ($500), as well as People's Choice in each category (3 awards at $250 each). The winning pieces in each category will be featured on Water Street Studios website.
- Winning artist selected will also be offered the opportunity to talk to a select group of members and collectors at an artist's talk in the gallery at some point after the event.
Submitting your Entry: Please email your name, street address, phone number and category (furniture, clothing, jewelry, art) for which you are submitting your art work. Include written descriptions and sketches or photos of your proposed piece and how it would function on the runway or in the gallery, as is appropriate. You may attach photographs of previous work that pertain to this project and a link to your website.
E-mail this information to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send information on disc via regular mail to:
c/o Water Street Studios 160 S. Water Street Batavia, IL 60510
Entry Fee: There is no fee to submit.
Deadlines: Please submit as soon as possible.
- April 26, 2014 - Concept Proposals Due!
- July 19, 2014 - Progress Report due via e-mail. Please send detailed description and photograph/sketch of works in progress.
- September 6, 2014 - Final piece(s) due at Water Street Studios along with descriptive narrative to accompany runway show.
Fine Art Show Curated By: Rita Grendze, Sculptor.
Fashion Show Curated By: Curator, Andrea Reynders, Professor Emeritus and former Sage Endowed Chair in Fashion Design, SAIC
- Incubator Dinner and rehearsal - Saturday, September 6, 2014
- on-som' bel Event - Saturday, September 27, 2014
Background: on-som'bel was conceived in 2012 as a way to bring fine art and high fashion together in a single spectacle event. All proceeds support Water Street Studios, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization devoted to expanding art in Batavia and the surrounding communities.
Highlights from the 2014 show: https://vimeo.com/75546465
Interestedin becoming a sponsor?